Impressionist 2 (Pink 1) was born from the need to experiment. After upgrading my video editing program, the need to test out any new functions was too great. Even in filming I have tried to experiment using a different shutter speed to the 'rules', creating a magic light effect -the light looks like the planet Jupiter. This new piece captures the idea of 'light painting' succinctly. By using the layering technique…the colours and light blend to create an effect that is very new.
2/10/2015-Because the film editing took longer than normal, I left the sound till today. I was able to utilize the full effect of 96 kHz in the initial editing and even in the granular synth: Padshop. Because I was able to use 24 bit stereo files, I wanted to experiment more. For this piece, I sliced out some of the low-end via R-Mix by Roland, and exported the 24bit 96 kHz file for further processing. In Reaper, which is another DAW, I used the varispeed function to slow the file down and pitch-shift it to make it sound lower. This I bounced out and re-imported into Sonar. In Sonar I cut out the sections I wanted to use. These were the cricket and cicada sounds - then I placed a granular delay effect over the top.
This created a great feedback sound near the end…in the perfect spot. I’m amazed at how well the sounds seem to match the vision. Particularly, because I haven’t got the vision in Sonar to align the changes and build-ups. Although I am happy with the final sonic result, I still feel I can do better. I think once I have some sort of controller device to play and perform filter sweeps etc…I will take the sound to another level again.