18th September

18/08/2015-Some major breakthroughs last night in editing the sound and in rendering the video pieces. After almost two years of experimenting with RMix, which is a stereo processing plug-in by Roland, I’ve managed to make it work. This plug-in allows the user to clean wind, hiss and breathing from stereo audio files.


 Using the above linear phase EQ, and setting it as a notch filter allowed me to get rid of about ninety percent of breath artefacts.

Using the above linear phase EQ, and setting it as a notch filter allowed me to get rid of about ninety percent of breath artefacts.


And finally using Sonar’s generic tape emulator set to 7.5ips, which dips the top-end of the stereo file, and allowed me to create what I consider a finished master. Although I would prefer to record all the audio at 96khz, and edit at 32 bit fp, which I can once I upgrade to the full version of Vegas Video - the results to my ears are nothing but spectacular. In mastering, now I’ve worked out how to set the compressor correctly - the overall audio level is much more even and this can be heard even on my laptop speakers. Finally, I have been experimenting with a stereo winding plug-in which anchors the right and left channel, and helps clearly define both channels.

I believe I’ve finally figured out the MP4 codec, which compresses the final video into a 'manageable' file for Youtube and general viewing. Perhaps, it should have been obvious, the MP4 codec and compression process was similar to the MP3 codec and compression process - it was because they use different languages to explain the same process. There are also extra processes to take into consideration. What I’ve discovered is by increasing the variable and average bit rate is amazing - the light is denser, and the colours shine. There is also less visible aliasing. Just like an MP3 codec the amount of 'important' data, which the codec believes can be kept and removed is interesting. Until you actually experiment you just don’t know what is being shaved off. Of course the trade-off is the size of the file, which for Abstract Sunset 1 is a file that is almost three gigabytes. 

When comparing the two versions for differences go to 4.06, 6.25, 8.10 mins. Although the differences are slight, they are noticeable. Because this project is about High Definition and quality...these subtle differences are important. Please also be aware, Youtube has re-compressed these videos, so it's more noticeable on the actual MP4 files.

Lower Quality 

Higher Quality